You can get the most out of your doctor's appointment by making a list of any questions or concerns you have about your discectomy surgery and bringing it with you to the exam. You and your doctor have a lot to discuss in a limited amount of time, so collecting your thoughts on paper beforehand will help you remember. The goal is to obtain all the information you need during your appointment so that you return home with a clear understanding of your diagnosis and treatment options.
Questions you might ask your doctor:
- What surgical options exist for treating a lumbar herniated disc?
- Are you considering a disc-sparing or total disc removal procedure? Why?
- If a disc-sparing discectomy: how to reduce the risk of reherniation, especially when faced with a large anular defect?
- If aggressive removal of the disc nucleus: how to address concerns with disc degeneration and/or disc collapse over time?
- What are the possible complications of a discectomy procedure?
- Is there anything you can do to close the hole in the disc? Are you familiar with the Barricaid® Anular Closure treatment option?
- Is there anything I can do to reduce my risk for developing a new herniation?
DOWNLOAD PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS LIST HERE.